[rear-users] Backup Contents

Schlomo Schapiro schlomo at schapiro.org
Thu Oct 7 11:05:50 CEST 2021

Hi Greg,

thanks for pointing that out, you are right. We don't properly explain this
on the ReaR website.

In short:

   1. ReaR is primarily a tool to create a rescue image that allows you to
   boot a system with replacement hard drives and recover it from a backup. To
   that effect ReaR stores all the information about the system that is
   required to recreate it precisely as it was before.
   2. The backup can be made with any of the supported backup tools and
   ReaR knows how to instrument those tools to actually restore the content of
   the hard drives. Whatever you had covered in the backup tool will be used
   to recover the hard drives. That is why people have to put all the files on
   the system into the backup.
   3. If you don't have a backup tool then ReaR offers a variety of
   built-in backup tools to store the data off-system. That can be via network
   or even on a combined bootable rescue + backup data medium.

With this approach ReaR doesn't really distinguish between OS and
application and data, after all it is all just a bunch of files. As a
result, ReaR can give a much higher guarantee that the recovered system
will work as it did before because the chance to "forget" an important file
is significantly reduced. Just make sure to not exclude any non-temporary
files in your backup configuration and you are set.

@Greg, does that answer your question?

@ReaR Team: Maybe we add something like this to the front page?

Kind regards,
Schlomo