[rear-users] Backup Contents

jsmeix jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Oct 7 07:55:24 CEST 2021

Hello,

On 2021-10-07 02:49, Greg Grasmehr wrote:
> What exactly does ReaR back up?  Everything including third party
> software installs, or just the basic operating system to use for a
> restore?  I'm confused by the documentation as it doesn't really
> specify
> exactly what is backed up and discusses bootable iso and USB images
> etc.
> which seem to indicate only the OS.

I know about the confusion about what "backup" actually means.

Could you point me to exact places in our ReaR documentation at
https://github.com/rear/rear/tree/master/doc
that confused you or that are not sufficiently clear.
Perhaps I could then describe things more clearly.

I think in particular the section
"Relax-and-Recover versus backup and restore" in
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Disaster_Recovery
may help you to better understand things
probably together with some more generic sections like
"How disaster recovery with ReaR basically works"
and others in that article.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH
Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nuernberg - Germany