[rear-users] Issue with rear format for uefi systems

Eierkuchen eierkuchen at t-online.de
Sun Oct 6 20:58:03 CEST 2019

Dear rear users:
I just started to set up rear for my desktop as well as for my NAS. (Relax-and-Recover 2.3 from official Ubuntu 18.04 repo)

I prepared an USB stick for UEFI boot system with option -e:
rear -v format -- -e /dev/sdX

I noticed that the first partition is only 200MB in size.

This is the reason why later on mkbackup is aborted with these messages:

 Created initrd.cgz with gzip default compression (254012142 bytes) in 42 seconds
 ERROR: Could not copy /tmp/rear.1XxhwVb6UpRqhr5/tmp/initrd.cgz to /tmp/rear-efi.ndloU//EFI/BOOT/initrd.cgz

On my desktop I adjusted the partition sizes manually with gparted to overcome this issue.

Now on my NAS the same issue occurred.

I wonder why rear format creates in the first place a partition far too small.

Is there any option to determine the size of the first partition?
Or did I mistake something?

Appreciate any hint ...