[rear-users] Partition 2 does not start on physical sector boundary.

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Mar 16 10:56:42 CET 2018

Hello,

On Mar 16 08:39 Tobias Berger wrote (excerpt):
> After backup --> restore I am getting:
>
> Device     Boot    Start       End   Sectors   Size Id Type
> /dev/sdg1  *        4096   1046527   1042432   509M 83 Linux
> /dev/sdg2        1046536  17817607  16771072     8G 83 Linux
> /dev/sdg3       17817616 937637551 919819936 438.6G 8e Linux LVM
>
> Partition 2 does not start on physical sector boundary.
> Partition 3 does not start on physical sector boundary.
>
> But Why? The original looks like this:
>
> Device     Boot    Start       End   Sectors   Size Id Type
> /dev/sdg1  *        2048   1044479   1042432   509M 83 Linux
> /dev/sdg2        1044480  17815551  16771072     8G 82 Linux swap / Solaris
> /dev/sdg3       17815552 937635839 919820288 438.6G 8e Linux LVM

I assume you do not use the current ReaR upstream GitHub master code
but something older.

What do you use?
Cf.
https://github.com/rear/rear/blob/master/.github/ISSUE_TEMPLATE.md

I assume you are hit by one of the issues that are described at
https://github.com/rear/rear/issues/1731
and
https://github.com/rear/rear/pull/1733
or by a related issue like
https://github.com/rear/rear/issues/102

I would like to really recommend to at least try out
the current ReaR upstream GitHub master code as follows:

Basically "git clone" it into a separated directory and then
configure and run ReaR from within that directory like:
# git clone https://github.com/rear/rear.git

# mv rear rear.github.master

# cd rear.github.master

# vi etc/rear/local.conf

# usr/sbin/rear -D mkbackup
Note the relative paths "etc/rear/" and "usr/sbin/".

Reason:
The current ReaR upstream GitHub master code contains a
major rework and changed default behaviour how ReaR behaves
in migration mode when partitions can or must be resized
to fit on replacement disks with different size.
In current ReaR upstream GitHub master code see
in usr/share/rear/conf/default.conf the sections about
  # MIGRATION_MODE recovery during "rear recover"
and
  # Resizing partitions in MIGRATION_MODE during "rear recover"

Without the new code you can get unexpected partitioning results, cf.
https://github.com/rear/rear/issues/1731#issuecomment-368018282

Because it seems you use LVM note in particular what
usr/share/rear/conf/default.conf tells about "resize volumes"
(long lines wrapped here):
# Resizing partitions in MIGRATION_MODE during "rear recover"
# This does not resize volumes on top of the affected partitions.
# In particular this does not resize volumes on top of the
  affected partitions.
# To migrate volumes on disk where the disk size had changed
  the user must in advance
# manually adapt his disklayout.conf file before
  he runs "rear recover".

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)