[rear-users] Relax and recover SESAM

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Apr 19 11:42:13 CEST 2018

Hello,

On Apr 18 13:55 Matthew Stavert wrote (excerpt):

> Does the newest version of relax and recover still support SESAM?
> ie: rear-2.3-1.x86_64.rpm
> <http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Archiving:/Backup:/Rear/SLE_11_SP4/x86_64/rear-2.3-1.x86_64.rpm>
>
> I get all kinds of python errors for sesam, when building the recovery ISO,
> IE:
>
> /opt/sesam/bin/sesam/zlib.so requires additional libraries (fatal error)
>        libpython2.7.so.1.0 => not found
> /opt/sesam/bin/sesam/_collections.so requires additional libraries (fatal
> error)
>        libpython2.7.so.1.0 => not found
> /opt/sesam/bin/sesam/itertools.so requires additional libraries (fatal
> error)
>        libpython2.7.so.1.0 => not found
> /opt/sesam/bin/sesam/_codecs_jp.so requires additional libraries (fatal
> error)
>        libpython2.7.so.1.0 => not found
> /opt/sesam/bin/sesam/Crypto.Util._counter.so requires additional libraries
> (fatal error)
>        libpython2.7.so.1.0 => not found
> /opt/sesam/bin/sesam/Crypto.Cipher._DES.so requires additional libraries
> (fatal error)
> (continued....)
>
> Any ideas?

In general:
What do you think is the root cause when a program reports an error?
That the program itself is broken or that the program found something
which is not right in its environment so that the program should not
"just blindly proceed" but report its finding to you an an error?

In this particular case ReaR found out that needed stuff is missing
in its recovery system (a dynamically linked program won't start
at all when one of its needed libraries is not there because it
would abort in its initial linking stage before the actual
program could ever start at all).

ReaR reports such findings to you as an error because ReaR
should not make a recovery system that has programs included
which can not at all work therein.

The solution is to ensure that all what is needed by the
programs in the recovery system actually gets included
in the recovery system - otherwise your recovery would
be - at least partially - just broken.

Via generic ReaR config variables like COPY_AS_IS, PROGS,
LIBS, MODULES,... you can specify any additional stuff
that you need to get included in your ReaR recovery system
during "rear mkrescue/mkbackup".

Regarding including stuff in the recovery system
that is in particular needed by SESAM use the specific
COPY_AS_IS_SESAM config variable (see default.conf).

I noticed that third-party backup tools sometimes
have unexpected ways how they use their libraries and
I implemented NON_FATAL_BINARIES_WITH_MISSING_LIBRARY
as a generic way out how the user can specify when
a failing 'ldd' test is actually "false alarm".

I cannot decide whether or not the failing 'ldd' tests
above are actually "false alarm" or if perhaps there is
a real issue with the SESAM files in the recovery system
that needs to be fixed.

In general regarding ReaR and backup tools see the section
"Relax-and-Recover versus backup and restore" in
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Disaster_Recovery

In general regarding third-party backup tools:

In general we (i.e. the ReaR upstream developers)
cannot help with issues with third-party backup tools
like BACKUP=SESAM because usually we neither use a particular
third-party backup tool (except random personal exceptions)
nor do we have such programs (which are often non-free software)
so that we cannot reproduce anything with third-party backup tools.

In general regarding issues with third-party software
it is much better when you contact those directly
who make a particular third-party software.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)