[rear-users] Cloning to identical hardware

Christian Lensch christian.lensch at inxmail.de
Tue Oct 17 17:20:54 CEST 2017

Hi all,
new to the list. I want to say thank-you first for this nice peace of software!
Now to my problem:

Source:

HardwareServer with Debian 9  (recently upgraded from Deb 8)
8 Nics of the following types:
Lspci
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
03:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
04:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
05:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection
08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection

I am trying to recover to identical hardware, meaning same motherboard, CPU a.s.o. The only difference between source and target are obviously the mac-addresses of the nics. The nics are sitting in the same place on the motherboard, btw (7 and 8 are build-in).
When running rear recovery I append the kernelline with 'ip=dhcp' and intend to sort out networking once the host is up and running - this because the source is still connected to the network and I want to avoid IP-conflicts.
Unfortunatly when I come to the message saying that "the original nic is not present, do I want to replace it?" no replacement nic is shown. This happens for all the 8 interfaces in the server.
The driver for the nics should be available since the NICs are identivcal to the once in the source.
I have tried to bring up one interface by using
dhclient eth[0-7]
but keep getting errors saying 'interface eth[whatever] not found.
I also tried with other interface names (ens33,enS1p0 etc.), since Debian 9 (source server was recently upgraded) uses other devicenames now, but none of them seem to be working.
The interfaces seem to be working somehow though, as they are blinking when connected to the switch.

Any ideas, what could be the problem here?

Regards
Christian