[rear-users] Issue with moving backup data

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu May 18 11:19:47 CEST 2017

Hello,

On May 18 11:03 Jason Hurd wrote (excerpt):
> I have created an incremental backup tar and recovery iso
> and stored them on a NAS via cifs.
> I have performed a successful automatic recovery as per normal,
> in which, the rescue media grabs the tar files from the NAS.
> I have run into issue when attempting to do an offline restore
> by way of copying the tar files to a USB stick then changing
> the local.conf file on the rescue media to point to the mounted USB.
> This results in the recover process changing in a way that the
> backup file it is looking for changes from an incremental dated
> file (i.e. 2017-05-18-1000.tar.gz) to a stand-alone file
> (backup.tar.gz) seemingly breaking the ability to recover
> from incremental files. Even if the full tar backup is copied to
> backup.tar.gz the restore doesn't seem to complete without complications.

The root cause why it does not "just work" from USB
even when all needed backup files are on the USB stick is
that backup and restore via USB works by default incompatible
compared to how backup and restore works via NFS.

See USB_SUFFIX in default.conf and
for some background information and details see
the ReaR GitHub issues mentioned therein, i.e. see
https://github.com/rear/rear/issues/1164
and the other issues linked therein.

I assume (but I have not tested it) that it works
when you copy all needed backup files into one same
directory named USB_SUFFIX on the USB stick and then
adapt local.conf in the ReaR recovery system accordingly.

I think it is best when you do an incremental backup
directly on USB as a test (that requires USB_SUFFIX)
so that you know how the contents on your USB stick
look like and that you know how local.conf looks like
so that you can later do the appropriate preparations and
changes to switch from NFS backup to restore form USB.

I assume that the same works to switch from CIFS backup
to restore form USB (but I never used CIFS myself).

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)