[rear-users] UUID problem with XFS on restore

Thomas Astle tom at pcc.com
Thu May 11 15:28:06 CEST 2017

Hi,

I was restoring a RHEL 7 UEFI  ReaR 1.17 system with XFS and LVM with a LUKS encrypted volume group to different hardware and a strange problem occurred.

The only way I could get it to restore was to remove all traces of UUIDs in disklayout.conf.   Otherwise, the restore would fail being unable to mount the logical volumes being unable to determine where or what the filesystem is.

It almost looks like the xfs_admin command that sets the UUID doesn’t work?

Is there another way around this?  Can I run the initial backup without tracking the UUIDs for example?

Thomas Astle
System Administrator

Physician's Computer Company
20 Winooski Falls Way, Suite 7