[rear-users] restoring logical volumes

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu May 11 14:56:29 CEST 2017

Hello,

On May 11 12:14 Styer, Darryl wrote (excerpt):
> I believe I've seen a restore case where I did not mount
> a few file systems within logical volumes and after restore
> those logical volumes existed with old files in them.
> I'm restoring to a system that did indeed have older
> versions of the same logical volumes before the restore.
> It occurs to me that if the system being restored had
> a logical volume that did not exist in the backup that
> it too might survive the restore. Is it my imagination?
> If not can I avoid these kinds of issues?

If I understand you correctly you run "rear recover" on
a system with a harddisk that had been in use before?

In this case see
https://github.com/rear/rear/issues/799

In general you can avoid such issues when you manually
totally clean up the harddisk(s) on the system before
you run "rear recover" on that system - i.e. have
prepared replacement systems with clean harddisks.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)