[rear-users] Configuration problem?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Jun 29 15:49:37 CEST 2017

Hello,

On Jun 29 11:19 rear at tamco.co.uk wrote (excerpt):
> As this is a mailing list I?ll post only a very brief summary
> (I have much more detail, of course).

I think it it probably better when you submit a GitHub issue via
https://github.com/rear/rear/issues/new
see also
http://relax-and-recover.org/support/

> three SATA devices:
> SATA-0 250GB SSD formatted XFS
> SATA-1 6TB regular HD with one XFS primary partition, auto-mounted as /big
> SATA-2 regular DVDwriter

> Centos 7
> Rear v1.17.2

I guess that is the ReaR version that comes with Centos 7.

I would first and foremost suggest to use a current ReaR version
so that we can work on currently still valid issues
(and not with perhaps already solved issues).
For a current ReaR version see
http://relax-and-recover.org/download/

> Now to test it ... I unplug the big HD ... remove SATA-0 SSD
> plug in spare blank 256GB SSD (to simulate the effect
> of failed/trashed boot disk)

Actually you may have simulated not only the effect
of a failed/trashed boot disk but additionally you also
simulated a recovery on a system with different disk layout.
Changing the disk layout makes things complicated.

In general as a start I would recommend to have a look at
the section about "First steps with Relax-and-Recover" in
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Disaster_Recovery

> Boot recovery CD, run rear recover, accept warning that sda has changed size
> (i.e select new sda), [puzzled by warning that sda partitions have to be
> shrunk, when ?new? sda is marginally larger than previous? whatever!], leave
> all other drive mappings unchanged. Recovery appears to complete just fine,
> checked after completion and all files seem to have been recovered. Looking
> good!
>
> Except, the system is now unbootable. No amount of selecting alternatives
> and/or BIOS/EFI tinkering can find a bootable disk.

To find out what actually went wrong have a look at
"Debugging issues with Relax-and-Recover" in
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Disaster_Recovery

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)