[rear-users] Configuration problem?

rear at tamco.co.uk rear at tamco.co.uk
Thu Jun 29 12:19:11 CEST 2017

Dear All,

I wouldn?t normally post an issue such as this to a mailing list, I?d
go and read a support forum in detail (not that I can find one), but
it was ?suggested? to me, when  I asked, that I should subscribe to
the mailing list (done), and that it would then be ok to post here.

I think Rear _might_ be an excellent program? I can only say might at
this stage, as I haven?t been able to get it to work.

As this is a mailing list I?ll post only a very brief summary (I have
much more detail, of course).

I have a regular brand-new PC which I?m using as a simple server.

It has three SATA devices:
SATA-0 250GB SSD formatted XFS
SATA-1 6TB regular HD with one XFS primary partition, auto-mounted as /big
SATA-2 regular DVDwriter

It has Centos 7 installed, fully updated and rock solid reliable. Rear
v1.17.2 installed plus dependents, no problem.

/etc/rear/local.conf:
OUTPUT=ISO

mkrescue ? works fine, makes ISO file, burned to CD, PC boots from it
just fine.

/etc/rear/local.conf then edited to become:
BACKUP=NETFS
OUTPUT=USB
BACKUP_PROG=rsync
BACKUP_URL=usb:///dev/disk/by-label/REAR-000
EXCLUDE_MOUNTPOINTS=( /big )

Plug in scratch 250GB external USB HD, formatted via rear format /dev/sdc1

mkbackuponly ? works fine, lights flash, files written etc.

Now to test it! Following my instinct, I unplug the big HD (it has
1GB+ of stuff on it I really, really don?t want to lose). Then, remove
SATA-0 SSD, plug in spare blank 256GB SSD (to simulate the effect of
failed/trashed boot disk).

Boot recovery CD, run rear recover, accept warning that sda has
changed size (i.e select new sda), [puzzled by warning that sda
partitions have to be shrunk, when ?new? sda is marginally larger than
previous? whatever!], leave all other drive mappings unchanged.
Recovery appears to complete just fine, checked after completion and
all files seem to have been recovered. Looking good!

Except, the system is now unbootable. No amount of selecting
alternatives and/or BIOS/EFI tinkering can find a bootable disk.

Finally, after several retries with variations on drive remapping etc
etc ? and against my better judgement ? I test it with the /big drive
connected. Same outcome, everything seems to work fine but the system
still remains stubbornly unbootable? and then I find, most
frustratingly, that /big has been ?reformatted? by Rear?s recovery
process and all the stuff I didn?t want to lose has gone. Grrr!

Idiot user problem, obviously? so apologies for wasting your time.
But, if anyone does have a spare minute or two, any hints about what
the cause might be would be appreciated. I can afford to do more
aggressive tinkering now (as in, now that I?ve trashed the
half-million files I didn?t want to trash I haven?t anything further
to lose!)

As I said, it _might_ be a great program?but right now I?m mighty
frustrated by my inability to coax it into line. I?m writing a Rear
user guide as I go, but unless I can understand where it?s all gone
pear-shaped the neither it nor me is going to get very far!

Thank you for reading, assuming you got this far.

Kind regards,

--Tim