[rear-users] Article about ReaR in German Linux Magazin

oh oliver at g.dom.de
Mon Mar 7 13:03:39 CET 2016

> Hello,
>
> On Mar 4 19:24 Oliver Hoffmann wrote (excerpt):
>> I'll write an article about ReaR in a Computer Magazine.
>>
>> They can be found here:
>>
>> http://www.linux-magazin.de/
>> The use case will describe how I saved an old Ubuntu Server running
>> on old HW by using ReaR. The image and backup (to an NFS Server)
>> where then used to reincarnate it as a VM on a Xen Host.
>
> From my point of view that use case looks too complicated,
> depending on who is the usual audience of the Linux Magazin.
>
> If the intent of your article is to be also useful
> for non-experts (i.e. also for beginners with
> Relax-and-Recover - formerly called "ReaR"),
> I would like to recommend to keep the use case simpler
> so that even a "normal user" with a single comuter
> could benefit from it.
>
> Therefore I would like to recommend to explain as use case
> how one could make on a single comuter a single USB stick
> as recovery system that also contains the backup for
> that particular single comuter, see
> "Bootable USB device with backup to USB" at
> https://github.com/rear/rear/blob/master/doc/user-guide/04-scenarios.adoc
> and therein the section about
> "Configuring Relax-and-Recover for USB storage devices"
> but of course not with "BACKUP=BACULA" but with using
> the system's built-in 'tar' as backup tool.
>

> Kind Regards
> Johannes Meixner

Hi,

I think the readers are sys-admins and so called power users but I
agree. That case is a bit special, although not really complicated. ReaR
just isn't ;)

So then I'll write a general section "normal users" would benefit from
and a part for admins as well.

Thank you for your input.

Regards,

Oliver