[rear-users] Article about ReaR in German Linux Magazin

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Mar 7 11:36:44 CET 2016

Hello,

On Mar 4 19:24 Oliver Hoffmann wrote (excerpt):
> I'll write an article about ReaR in a Computer Magazine.
>
> They can be found here:
>
> http://www.linux-magazin.de/
> The use case will describe how I saved an old Ubuntu Server running
> on old HW by using ReaR. The image and backup (to an NFS Server)
> where then used to reincarnate it as a VM on a Xen Host.

>From my point of view that use case looks too complicated,
depending on who is the usual audience of the Linux Magazin.

If the intent of your article is to be also useful
for non-experts (i.e. also for beginners with
Relax-and-Recover - formerly called "ReaR"),
I would like to recommend to keep the use case simpler
so that even a "normal user" with a single comuter
could benefit from it.

Therefore I would like to recommend to explain as use case
how one could make on a single comuter a single USB stick
as recovery system that also contains the backup for
that particular single comuter, see
"Bootable USB device with backup to USB" at
https://github.com/rear/rear/blob/master/doc/user-guide/04-scenarios.adoc
and therein the section about
"Configuring Relax-and-Recover for USB storage devices"
but of course not with "BACKUP=BACULA" but with using
the system's built-in 'tar' as backup tool.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)