[rear-users] change nfs IP of backup.tar before restore

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Jun 29 10:52:01 CEST 2016

Hello,

On Jun 28 17:05 Styer, Darryl wrote (excerpt):
> I have OUTPUT_URL set to an NFS server but it's changed
> its IP address since backups were stored there.
> My DHCP server and PXE boot gets me to rear but
> the rear wants to use the old IP address to retrieve
> the backup file. Is there a mechanism to change it?

As far as I know there is no mechanism (i.e. no automatism)
and I would wonder how an automatism could work (how should
something in rear know what the new IP address is)?

But manually it should work:

After you logged in as root in the rear recovery system
you can change whatever you want in the recovery system
before you run "rear recover".

In particular you can edit the rear configuration files
(usually /etc/rear/local.conf) and therein change e.g.
the BACKUP_URL to whatever you need.

When DNS works in your case it is perhaps better to
specify the NFS server by its hostname (and domainname)
instead of its IP addresss?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)