[rear-users] How to preserve the backups more than 2 copies?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Jun 29 08:46:52 CEST 2016

Hello,

On Jun 28 17:50 Gratien D'haese wrote (excerpt):
> That is currently not yet implemented

and I would be against to implement anything like that
in Relax-and-Recover.

I prefer to keep Relax-and-Recover focussed on its
primary intended core functionality (the KISS principle).

I am against making Relax-and-Recover some kind of bloatware
with added "nice to have" functionality that is outside of
how Relax-and-Recover is meant.

> On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 14:13:01 +0000 (UTC), murali thangavel  wrote:
>
> Currently I am able to keep only 2 copies of the backup.
> If I run the 3rd time, the old copy(backup.old) deleted
> automatically. So, how to preserve the old backups?

Relax-and-Recover (rear) is not a backup management
software and it is not meant to be one.

In general the backup and restore of the files
is external functionality for rear.

I.e. neither backup nor restore of the files
is implemented in rear.

rear only calls an external tool that does the backup
and its counterpart to do the restore of the files.

Accordingly there is basically nothing in rear that deals
in any further way with what happens with the backups.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)