[rear-users] Modify VG before restore

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Jan 6 11:26:25 CET 2016

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016, dirk.reuper at lht.dlh.de wrote:

> Hallo together,
>
> I must change the boot-disks after a crash.
> The disksize is  300 GB , the old 146 GB.
> When I boot from ISO and I start
> after prompt
>
> $ rear recover
>
> the program doesn’t stop, so I have only 146 GB in the boot-VG,
> the same size as before
>
> Has somebody an advice?
>
> Thanks a lot for answers

Before or during the restore you have the opportunity to modify the
disk layout (disklayout.conf). It is documented in the User Guide at:

https://github.com/rear/rear/blob/master/doc/user-guide/06-layout-configuration.adoc#restore-to-different-hardware

If the User Guide is confusing or ambiguous, or you know how to improve
it, please send us a pull request with the improvements. It helps
tremendously to get feedback from actual users and use-cases.

But after the restore has completed, you can also resize the partition
(fdisk) and PV (pvresize), or extend the VG (vgextend) as you please.
It basically depends whether you want to restore ASAP (and fix later) in
DR mode or you have the time to investigate and adapt during restore
(e.g. during a planned migration).

--
Dag