[rear-users] Convert ISO to USB

Schlomo Schapiro schlomo at schapiro.org
Tue Feb 9 19:22:22 CET 2016

Sorry if I was not clear:
* ReaR supports grub2 as a boot manager for the recovered system.
* The boot media it creates uses syslinug/isolinux.

When we started to work on ReaR in 2006 there was nothing better than
syslinux/isolinux.

We should switch latest when we drop support for distros that don't ship
grub2. But this is a bigger project.

If your system boots with BIOS then isohybrid should solve your problem.

Please let us know it it works.

On 9 February 2016 at 19:07, Brent Bolin <brent.bolin at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> I must say running isohybrid recreates the partition in an odd way (Hidden
> HPFS/NTFS).
>
> It's interesting that you talk about moving ReaR to grub2.  I thought it
> was.
>
> The reason I keep harping on about Ubuntu is the fact that I have a MythTV
> setup.  One backend and three frontends all running on Mythbuntu.  And it
> would be nice to have a bare metal recovery solution instead of rsync.
>
> My backend is running a couple mdadm raid volumes.  /boot raid1+ext4 (md0)
> and / raid5+lvm+ext4 (md1) .  Back in the day I think /boot had to be a
> mirror because it wasn't supported.
>
> I have since tested this with ReaR running a single raid5+lvm+ext4 and no
> separate /boot .  And from what I've read grub2 is the reason it worked.
> Maybe ReaR isn't using grub2 but supports restoring grub2 configs like I
> listed?.
>
> Must say I like the restore capabilities of ReaR.  Very nice to be able to
> create restore on a running system unlike Clonezilla (correct me if I'm
> wrong).
>
> My workstation supports EFI haven't tested it at all.
>
> Thanks
>
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 11:29 AM, Schlomo Schapiro <schlomo at schapiro.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Caveat Emptor. There is a hybrid mode for BIOS boot and another one for
>> EFI boot and probably several ways how to combine them.
>>
>> I did some experiments in this area some time ago. Bottom line is that I
>> gave up using syslinux/isolinux and switched over to use grub 2:
>> http://blog.schlomo.schapiro.org/2013/11/magic-iso-image-booting-with-gnu-grub-2.html
>>
>> In more recent experiments I found out that grub-mkrescue already does
>> everything right. Put some grub configs and grub modules into a directory
>> and run grub-mkrescue -o iso-file.iso <dir> to get an ISO that can boot
>> both from CD/DVD and from USB drive. If you use BIOS boot. With EFI I did
>> not manage to get it to boot from USB. Booting EFI from CD/DVD was really
>> simple. I only had to add EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI to the dir.
>>
>> Maybe you can find out how Ubuntu ISOs are made?
>>
>> In general, I think that we should slowly start to think about moving to
>> grub2 in ReaR. I think that it will make the entire boot code much much
>> simpler.
>>
>> On 9 February 2016 at 18:08, Brent Bolin <brent.bolin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I did try that -

>>> Disk rear-host110.iso: 77 MB, 77594624 bytes
>>> 64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 74 cylinders, total 151552 sectors
>>> Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
>>> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
>>> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
>>> Disk identifier: 0x5be95d00
>>>
>>>            Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
>>> rear-host110.iso1   *           0      151551       75776   17  Hidden
>>> HPFS/NTFS
>>>
>>> Funky.  Don't remember if I used unetbootin syntax to create, think I
>>> did. Seemed to reboot a couple of times and then take a real long time to