[rear-users] Convert ISO to USB

Brent Bolin brent.bolin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 16:09:16 CET 2016

What are people using to convert iso images?

I want to create backups and ISO on a nfs mount.  I've been testing Rear
using virtualbox so I copy the iso back to my desktop and set virtualbox vm
to use it.

The documentation on the website indicates this -

sfdisk /dev/sdd <<EOF
;
EOF

mkfs.vfat -F32 -n REAR-USB  /dev/sdd1
Pull and replug the USB stick. Verify it is mounted.

unetbootin method=diskimage isofile=/path/to/[ISO].iso installtype=USB
targetdrive=/dev/sdd1 autoinstall=yes

However when I look ( fdisk -l /dev/sdb) at the usb flash it shows it as a
Linux partition.  And then running mkfs.vfat -F32 on that same partition.
Doesn't seem correct.  Sometimes it boots.  Sometimes it drops me to grub.
Kinda flaky.

Since the iso created by Rear isn't a hybrid(fdisk -l myimage.iso) iso I
can't simply use 'dd' to the non partitioned device (/dev/sdb).

Would like to know what others are using.  Want a reliable way to create
usb flash drives since this would generally be used in an emergency
recovery.

Thanks