[rear-users] Help migrating Scientific Linux 7.2

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Aug 25 15:33:16 CEST 2016

Hello,

On Aug 25 09:11 James M. Pulver wrote (excerpt):
> ... REAR created the partitions,
> but doesn't realize it till it reboots.
> But if I do that and re-run rear recover,
> it deletes the partitions, re creates them,
> and I loop around.

I did a quick first test in the recovery system:

With
# find / | grep disklayout.conf
I located the disklayout.conf file and therein I deactivated
all entries (i.e. made them comments by adding a leading '#').

Then I run
# rear -d -D recover
which fails of course with
RESCUE d245:~ # rear -d -D recover
Start system layout restoration.
Disk layout created.
ERROR: No filesystem mounted on '/mnt/local'. Stopping.
because on my recovery system there are not yet
any partitions or filesystems.

Then with
# find / | grep diskrestore.sh
I located the diskrestore.sh file and that one looks good:
RESCUE d245:~ # cat /root/rear/var/lib/rear/layout/diskrestore.sh
#!/bin/bash

LogPrint "Start system layout restoration."

mkdir -p /mnt/local
if create_component "vgchange" "rear" ; then
     lvm vgchange -a n >&8
     component_created "vgchange" "rear"
fi

set -e
set -x

set +x
set +e

LogPrint "Disk layout created."

Accordingly it looks promising that by deactivating all entries
in disklayout.conf one can skip successfully that during
"rear recover" any partitions are deleted, created, and
that any filesystems are created.

Therefore I suggest that you play around a bit in this way
to find out how far it also works for you when you deactivate
entries in disklayout.conf to skip what you need to be skipped
in your particular case.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)