[rear-users] Help migrating Scientific Linux 7.2

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Aug 23 18:46:48 CEST 2016

Hello,

On Aug 23 11:33 James M. Pulver wrote (excerpt):
> I have a Lenovo S30 that I have SL7.2 installed on an SSD, sda.
> I want to try and migrate to a Lenovo P510 that has a NVMe SSD,
> nvme0n1 I believe. I also have a second local SSD that I just
> plan to physically move to the P510.

Regarding NVME see the issue
https://github.com/rear/rear/issues/787
which means you need at least Relax-and-Recover version 1.18
to have support for NVME SSD disks.

In general migrating a system onto different hardware
does not "just work".

In sufficiently simple cases it may "just work" but in general
do not expect too much built-in intelligence from a program
(written in plain bash which is not a programming language
  that is primarily meant for artificial intelligence ;-)
that would do the annoying legwork for you.

To migrate a system onto different hardware you usually
have to adapt your disklayout.conf from the "old" system
to make it appropriate for the "new" system.

For an example you may have a look at the
"P2V HP microserver to VmWare" issue
https://github.com/rear/rear/issues/943

To mitigate the annoying migrating legwork a bit,
I recommend the newest rear GitHub master code that provides
some first steps for RECOVERY_UPDATE_URL support.

See default.conf how RECOVERY_UPDATE_URL is meant to work:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rear/rear/dev/usr/share/rear/conf/default.conf

For an example how RECOVERY_UPDATE_URL works see
https://github.com/rear/rear/issues/943#issuecomment-236547810

But when you use the latest rear master code see
https://github.com/rear/rear/issues/943#issuecomment-237544630
what is special about the disklayout.conf file location
in the recovery system that you must consider
to make RECOVERY_UPDATE_URL work.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)