[rear-users] need testing advice - REQUIRED_PROGS containing spaces

Schlomo Schapiro schlomo at schapiro.org
Wed Oct 21 17:50:39 CEST 2015

Hi Robert,

quoting is always good and I can't imagine a case where it would have been
a feature that quoting is bad. The really few cases where I used Bash
tricks I actually put a large comment above it mentioning the fact that
this line does not have quotes on purpose.

The reason why there are no quotes so far is very simple: The has_binary
function is intended to check for the existance of programs in $PATH,
without the need to know where exactly in $PATH the program lies. The fact
that it also works with fully qualified file names is more of a welcome
side effect and not the typical use case.

I noticed the use of fully qualified file names in your pull requests and
decided to not talk about it because I thought that you have your reasons.

IMHO on Unix/Linux installing software in directories with spaces in the
name is a really bad idea and not something that is a very common
requirement.

But, the purpose of ReaR is to serve the needs ot our users so that we will
be happy to accept pull requests that enable ReaR to support such scenarios
like you describe.

:-)