[rear-users] rear mkbackup on domU (xen) doesn't really work

Schlomo Schapiro schlomo at schapiro.org
Tue Oct 20 17:10:05 CEST 2015

The backup (regardless of the method) has to recover the complete OS as
ReaR will *not* copy anything into the recovered system.

We have a strict separation of concerns:
* ReaR takes care of preparing the recovery server, formatting disks,
mounting filesystems, making the disk bootable and reconfiguring the
recovered system to work with the potentially changed hardware
* A backup software recoveres all the files into the recovered file system
structure that ReaR prepared. If you don't have your own backup software
then ReaR includes several very simple backup methods. In any case it is
the responsability of the backup solution to actually recover *all*
required files.