[rear-users] Recover option never produces an interactive shell on Ubuntu 14.04

Robert Owens rowens at fdrinnovation.com
Wed Oct 14 18:28:10 CEST 2015

When booting from a rescue ISO on Ubuntu 14.04, choosing the "Automatic
Recover" boot option works, but the "Recover" option is not usable.  It
boots to a point where it says "Rescue System is ready" but it does not
provide an interactive shell.

So it's completing /usr/share/rear/skel/default/etc/scripts/system-setup
but it seems to stop there and doesn't accept any input.

Testing the same scenario on CentOS 6 produces a command prompt.  On
CentOS 7, I get a login prompt where "root" is accepted with no
password.  But on Ubuntu 14.04, I cannot login locally.  I can login via
ssh, but if it's a dhcp system I won't know the ip address without doing
an 'ifconfig'.

Where should I start troubleshooting this?  At what point in the code do
these various paths appear?

Thanks

-Rob