[rear-users] rear mkbackup on domU (xen) doesn't really work

Robert Owens rowens at fdrinnovation.com
Fri Oct 9 16:16:11 CEST 2015

I'm new to ReaR as well, but I think you need to specify a backup method
in local.conf.  The default is BACKUP=REQUESTRESTORE.  'man rear' refers
to this as "Not really a backup method at all..."  It seems its purpose
is to do just what you've seen:  provide a rescue system and leave the
backup/restore up to you.

Take a look at the section of the man page titled "BACKUP SOFTWARE
INTEGRATION".  There is a list of both commercial and open source backup
software that you can choose to use for your backup and restore.

-Rob