[rear-users] rear mkbackup on domU (xen) doesn't really work

Schlomo Schapiro schlomo at schapiro.org
Fri Oct 9 15:53:57 CEST 2015

Hello Oliver,

On 8 October 2015 at 16:13, Oliver Hoffmann <oliver at g.dom.de> wrote:

> I am new to rear. Alas there's not too much to find on the
> net or in the documentation given that you try to do something special.

​Good that you found this list! It is the right place to ask.
​

> So, I did rear -v mkbackup on a dumU (Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS) which runs
> on Xenserver 6.2. I did get an iso but problems are:
>
> -apparently it just creates a rescue system without the data

​The main purpose of ReaR is to add bare metal disaster recovery capability
to existing backup software that lacks this feature or where it is not
satisfactory.
​

> -if I do rear recover it says something like "You cannot run recover
>  from this shell"

​Did you try this in the rescue system or in the original system? It will
only work in the rescue system so that you don't trash your original system
accidentially.
​

> My local.conf:
>
> BACKUP_PROG_COMPRESS_OPTIONS="--gzip"
> BACKUP_PROG_COMPRESS_SUFFIX=".gz"

​Those two are not required and IIRC reflect the default.
​

> OUTPUT=ISO
>
> The goal is to create a bootable iso with all the data and put that
> somewhere. Let's say on nfs or maybe even on a Bacula/Bareos server.

​Try setting BACKUP=BACULA or BACKUP=BAREOS if you use that. If the client
is installed and you have a full backup of the entire server then ReaR
should "just work".

For NFS please look at
https://github.com/rear/rear/blob/master/doc/user-guide/04-scenarios.adoc
which BTW is linked from http://relax-and-recover.org/documentation/.

We would be most happy to get help with improving the documentation or
hints about where you where looking but did not find anything even though
it should have been there.