[rear-users] rear mkbackup on domU (xen) doesn't really work

Oliver Hoffmann oliver at g.dom.de
Thu Oct 8 16:13:56 CEST 2015

Hi list,

I am new to rear. Alas there's not too much to find on the
net or in the documentation given that you try to do something special.

So, I did rear -v mkbackup on a dumU (Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS) which runs
on Xenserver 6.2. I did get an iso but problems are:

-apparently it just creates a rescue system without the data
-I can boot from that iso but then there is no data
-if I do rear recover it says something like "You cannot run recover
 from this shell"

My local.conf:

BACKUP_PROG_COMPRESS_OPTIONS="--gzip"
BACKUP_PROG_COMPRESS_SUFFIX=".gz"
OUTPUT=ISO

The goal is to create a bootable iso with all the data and put that
somewhere. Let's say on nfs or maybe even on a Bacula/Bareos server.

Is that even possible? All I found was this:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:tXhGLDXHGJYJ:sourceforge.net/p/rear/mailman/message/27980017/+&cd=4&hl=de&ct=clnk&gl=de

Cheers,

chillax