[rear-users] Question on PXE output/config

Werner Flamme werner.flamme at ufz.de
Wed Mar 25 14:26:32 CET 2015

Hi everyone,

I installed rear 1.17.0 on my SLES 12 VM named vsaps12 and executed
"rear mkrescue".

3 lines from my /etc/rear/site.conf:
---snip---
OUTPUT=PXE
PXE_CONFIG_PATH=/clusterdisk/srv/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg
PXE_TFTP_PATH=/clusterdisk/srv/tftpboot/sap/
---pins---

The output of "rear dump" includes:

---snip---
Output to PXE
               PXE_CONFIG_PATH = /clusterdisk/srv/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg
             PXE_CONFIG_PREFIX = rear-
              PXE_CREATE_LINKS = MAC
          PXE_REMOVE_OLD_LINKS =
                 PXE_TFTP_PATH = /clusterdisk/srv/tftpboot/sap
               PXE_TFTP_PREFIX = vsaps12.
                 RESULT_MAILTO =
---pins---

So I expect the output in the $PXE_TFTP_PATH directory, and there it is.
But when I look at pxelinux.cfg/rear-vsaps12, I see the lines

 label rear
        kernel vsaps12/vsaps12.kernel
        append initrd=vsaps12/vsaps12.initrd.cgz root=/dev/ram0
vga=normal rw selinux=0 console=ttyS0,9600 console=ttyS1,9600 console=tty0

Hm, why that? There is no directory vsaps12/, and the file has been
stored correctly into the sap/ directory. Is this a bug or a feature?

BTW, this is not specific for SLES 12. My SLES 11 SP3 boxes create the
same config with "kernel = $(hostname)/$(hostname).kernel" ...

I think it was nice if either
a) rear writes down the correct directory name in the config or
b) symlinks the directory where the files are put to the directory that
is written in the pxe config ;)

Regards,
Werner