[rear-users] backup up to a local file

JB general at itpsg.com
Thu Jan 15 05:32:20 CET 2015

Backing up to a network share takes substantially more time.  /tmp isn't
always big enough for such things.  I'd think it would be a simple
matter to add the relevant file/directory to the exclude list
automatically if it isn't already there.  However, I had already added
it to the BACKUP_PROG_EXCLUDE.  I just patched it so that it won't do
that check since I already know enough to ensure the backups storage
location doesn't get backed up itself.  I found a thread archived from
an earlier version with someone talking about this same issue and they
were thinking the same thing.  There should be nothing wrong with this
and it can be very useful.

I have a another question.  I'm slowly getting this working :)
mkrescue creates a nice bootable ISO and mkbackup creates a giant tgz
file.  I'm after a single bootable ISO image that contains the backup
and knows where to find it on the media during restore. Similar to how
the USB backup works.   Given the configuration file below, what do I
need to change to make that happen?  It isn't apparent from the docs.

thank you for any help you can provide!