[rear-users] Creating a Master Image

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Wed Apr 22 04:21:18 CEST 2015

John

I've done exactly this, for RHEL6 - sort of a poor-man's "Ghost" for
linux.  There are several things you need to do to make the servers
unique.  For example, it might not be a good thing that different servers
have the same LVM UUIDs or you might accidentally restore a backup to the
wrong server; also the mappings from MAC address to ethernet device won't
match and you'll be using eth5 instead of eth0 as your first NIC.

A POST_RECOVERY_SCRIPT is a great idea.  We didn't do it this time, but
next time I'll look into it.

Here's a list of things we had to fix up on each server:

* MAC-to-eth mappings:
  - remove /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
  - removed HWADDR and UUID from /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth*
  - reboot

* Filesystem UUIDs:
  - tune2fs -U `uuidgen` $FS
  - rebuilt swap filesystem: swapoff $SWAPFS && mkswap $SWAPFS & swapon
$SWAPFS
  - updated UUIDs referenced in /etc/fstab
  - reboot

* LVM VG UUID:
  - boot into single-user mode
  - run "pvdisplay" to get device names