[rear-users] Bonded NICs

Jeffrey D. Fulmer JDFulmer at Armstrong.com
Tue Sep 30 19:35:45 CEST 2014

Hello list,

I'm having trouble making a recovery disk for two servers, they are in a RedHat cluster and they have bonded NICs.  The OS is RHEL 6.5

I'm recovering to a server that has fewer NICs than the one I archived.

When the server comes up, I down all the network interfaces, i.e.,

ifconfig bond0 down
ifconfig bond1 down

then I attempt to bring up eth0

ifconfig eth0 10.248.11.11 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
route add default gw 10.248.11.1

I can't ping the gateway. Everything looks fine in my routing table.

I notice these errors in the dmesg:

udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth13
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP) eth0: link is not ready

The only servers that give me an issue are ones with bonded NICs.  I don't need bonded NICs on the server I'm cloning to.

Any thoughts on how I can get this rescue on the network?

Cheers,
Jeff