[rear-users] Unexpected Netbackup Restore behavior

Zweimueller Wolfgang w.zweimueller at salk.at
Wed Sep 3 09:42:33 CEST 2014

Hi Gratien,

Gratien D'haese <gratien.dhaese at it3.be> writes:

> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> welcome our rear community.

Thx!

> Indeed seems not the expected behavior -so why don't you make an issue
> of it.

I will do that.

> In the meantime you could have a look at the script
> /usr/share/rear/restore/NBU/default/40_restore_with_nbu.sh
> which is playing with dates to retrieve its files from NBU.

I had a look at the script and saw the reason for my problems. It is
the way backup images are listed and selected.

Regards,
Wolfgang

> regards,
> Gratien
>
> On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 14:08:54 +0200, Zweimueller Wolfgang
> <w.zweimueller at salk.at> wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I am new to this list and ReaR. I am testing ReaR since about two
>> weeks
>> now and have to say it is very good work. Now we are in the process
>> set it up for production use for about 100 machines.
>>

>> When I do a "rear recover" I get asked for the date from which I want
>> to restore. There I have two choices: hit RETURN and restore the
>> latest backup or enter a date stamp to do a Point-In-Time restore.
>>
>> What did I expect? When I hit the ENTER key I want a complete restore
>> consisting of the last full backup and all incremental backups
>> afterwards. I think this is what most people do when they are in a
>> situation where they need a disaster recovery. This is also the
>> behavior of a pure "bprestore" without any time restrictions.
>>
>> Now my tests showed me that I really get the latest backup which is
>> sometimes only a incremental backup! Needless to say that ReaR cannot
>> complete the recovery of such a system.
>>
>> Has anyone an explanation of how it came to this implementation? Any
>> plans to change that behavior?
>>

>> Regards,
>> Wolfgang

Servicebereich Informatik und Medizintechnik
Infrastruktur

Wolfgang Zweimüller
Rechenzentrumsleiter Unix

Gemeinnützige Salzburger Landeskliniken Betriebsgesellschaft.m.b.H
Müllner Hauptstraße 48 | A-5020 Salzburg
Telefon: +43(0)662-4482-4903 | Fax: +43 (0)662-4482-4908
Mobil: +43(0)676-89972-4903
w.zweimueller at salk.at | http://www.salk.at