[rear-users] Failed Restore

Gary Schiltz gary at cloudforestsystems.com
Tue Apr 15 17:31:42 CEST 2014

(Apologies if this appears twice; I posted it yesterday from a
different email address that is not a member of the list)

Today I tried to use ReaR to do a bare metal restore of a new server
that I'm setting up. To summarize, it failed partway through the "rear
recover" phase, apparently during trying to stop a software RAID
device. The server had Ubuntu 12.04.4 and the following describes the
disk/partitioning setup.

Three physical disks
  /dev/sda    1 TB SATA, msdos partition map, bootable flag set, GRUB installed
  /dev/sda1   200 MB partition for software RAID1  (for /dev/md0)
  /dev/sda2   Remainder of disk for software RAID1 (for /dev/md1)

  /dev/sdb    1 TB SATA, msdos partition map, bootable flag set?, GRUB installed
  /dev/sdb1   200 MB partition for software RAID1  (for /dev/md0)
  /dev/sdb2   Remainder of disk for software RAID1 (for /dev/md1)

  /dev/sdc    1 TB SATA, guid partition map
    No RAID or LVM, single ext4 /dev/sdc1, mount point /backup

Two software RAID devices
  /dev/md0  RAID1, uses /dev/sda1 & /dev/sdb1, mount point /boot
  /dev/md1  RAID1, uses /dev/sda2 & /dev/sdb2, physical volume for LVM

LVM
  Volume group named system-vg, uses /dev/md1 RAID device
  Logical volume system--vg-root--lv 100 GB ext4, mount point /
  Logical volume system--vg-data--lv 900 GB ext4, mount point /data

My /etc/rear/local.conf is as follows:
  OUTPUT=ISO
  BACKUP=NETFS
  BACKUP_URL=file:///backup/relax-and-recover
  EXCLUDE_MOUNTPOINTS=( '/data' )

I exclude /data since I will back it up separately, and /backup is
automatically excluded since ReaR uses it to write the ISO and
tarball.

I created the backup using "rear -v mkbackup", then burned a CD from
the resulting ISO file. When I boot from the CD, everything seems okay
in the boot. Just before typing "rear recover", I do "mkdir /backup"
and "mount /dev/sdc1 /backup", since this is where mkbackup wrote to.
ReaR seems to get through the process of partitioning the disks, but
eventually fails with the following in the log:

+++ Print 'Creating software RAID /dev/md1'
+++ test 1
+++ echo -e 'Creating software RAID /dev/md1'
+++ test -b /dev/md1
+++ mdadm --stop /dev/md1
mdadm: Cannot get exclusive access to /dev/md1:Perhaps a running
process, mounted filesystem or active volume group?
2014-04-14 15:55:49 An error occured during layout recreation.

Any ideas? I'd be glad to supply the rest of the log, the contents of
/var/lib/rear, etc... Thanks in advance.