[rear-users] Manual Excludes

Jeroen Hoekx jeroen.hoekx at hamok.be
Fri Apr 11 08:30:55 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 11 April 2014 01:23, Gary Schiltz <gary at cloudforestsystems.com> wrote:

> In the EXCLUDE_BACKUP list it says "exclude components from being
> backed up, recreation information is active." I generally understand
> what not being backed means (e.g. it won't be included in the tar.gz
> backup file), but what does "recreation information is active" mean?

It means that ReaR will for example repartition the disk or create a
logical volume, without restoring the contents of that disk or volume.

> The documentation for EXCLUDE_RECREATE and EXCLUDE_RESTORE seem to say
> that whatever is in these lists will neither get backed up nor will it
> be recreated (again I don't understand recreation).

Rear will not partition a disk in EXCLUDE_RECREATE and if there are
logical volumes on it, will also skip those, same for filesystems.

> Also, I don't understand the syntax of the contents of these
> variables. For example the first EXCLUDE_RECREATE example reads:
>
>    EXCLUDE_RECREATE=( "${EXCLUDE_RECREATE[@]}" "fs:/media/backup" )
>
> What does the [@] part refer to? Is it just a part of standard bash
> syntax? (I admit I do need to brush up on my very basic and rusty
> shell scripting skills).

You're right. Search for bash arrays. That particular syntax is the
syntax to add one or more elements to an existing array.

> In "fs:/media/backup" I assume "fs" stands for "file system".
>
> The second example reads:
>
>    EXCLUDE_RECREATE=( "${EXCLUDE_RECREATE[@]}" "/dev/backup" )
>
> Why does the first example use "fs:" while the second is simply a raw path?
>
> There is also mention of "pv:" (physical LVM volume?), "usb:" (USB
> device). Is there a canonical list of these prefixes?

Those prefixes are implementation things that leak to the user. There
is no list, but I think pv and fs are the only two used in the disk
layout part of the code. Without them, it's not clear internally is
/dev/sda is the identifier of a disk or a physical volume.

If you're unsure what to use in your excludes, you can check all
components for your system in /var/lib/rear/layout/disktodo.conf .

Greetings,

Jeroen