[rear-users] Btrfs subvolume snapshots backup and restore

Schlomo Schapiro schlomo at schapiro.org
Sat Sep 28 22:48:21 CEST 2013

Hi,

OK, so do we all agree that ReaR can use only the tools that already exist?
As long as there is no "smart" btrfs backup tool there is not much we can
do.

BTW, should we automatically exclude the snapshot subvolumes? Or offer an
option for that? Otherwise people might not be able to use ReaR with NETFS
or RSYNC backup on btrfs systems any more.

If you think so then please kindly open a GitHub issue for that.

I also think that the loss of snapshots could be forgiven in the case of a
real disaster that made you recover the server on fresh hardware :-) After
all all snapshot systems utilize the same disks for the snapshots and don't
offload the snapshots to secure storage.