[rear-users] Btrfs subvolume snapshots backup and restore

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 20:52:59 CEST 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 10:49 AM, Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> wrote:

> Wow!
> I have 70G of accessible files stored on my 7.1G disk
> and still have 59% free space there ;-)
>
> If I made an usual file-based backup of '/' (e.g. via 'tar')
> I got a tarball with 70G that I cannot restore on my 7.1G disk.

Wouldn't an appropriate solution be to back it up to a system that
offers its own de-dup mechanism like btrfs/zfs with the option
enabled, backuppc, rdiff-backup, etc.?    That wouldn't really give
you the snapshots back, but you would have the ability to restore
files back from the time any backup was taken (just like you can with
any other filesystem type) without needing extra storage for the
versions that don't change.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com