[rear-users] CommVault 10 support

John Baldwin jembe65 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 20:55:03 CEST 2013

Had some successful testing.  I chose GALAXY7 as the backup type.  The
directory for CommVault 10 is  /opt/simpana  instead of /opt/galaxy.  So
all I had to do was make those directory name changes to about 6 scripts.
 I am getting the Exit 1 hard errors on a rear restore.  This is not an
error indicating the backup did not happen.  Just the typical /tmp socket
files not getting restored  etc..  I will alter the code to allow the
restore to finish the Grub boot stuff on a Exit 0 or 1 on restore process.
 I had to do this with the NBU code as well.   The throughput we get with
this server is impressive.  1 GB a minute.  Using ReaR I restored a base
Red Hat 5 64bit in just 3 minutes.  With little modification I believe ReaR
will work well using CommVault10 client on our RedHat 5 servers and It
should be fine on the Red Hat 6 server.  I am testing that next..  I will
continue to make all changes to the GALAXY7 files and will formally submit
the changes for your review.  I guess a new GALAXY10 directory structure
should be created??   CommVault has a similar product called One-Touch that
works similar to ReaR but from what I see its looks to be more complicated
to set up.  ReaR's simplicity is its strong point..  Kudos' to you guys for
creating it!