[rear-users] recovery scenario

Jeroen Hoekx jeroen.hoekx at hamok.be
Fri May 31 15:18:01 CEST 2013

Hi Tim,

On 31 May 2013 15:02,  <Tim.Einmahl at kba.de> wrote:

> I also tried to recover a physical server to a vm (I read that the P2V-code
> from heinlein was added to rear), but when booting the restored server, it
> get's a kernel panic
>
> Trying to resume from LABEL=SWAP-sda2
> Unable to access resume device (LABEL=SWAP-sda2)
> Creating root device
> Mounting root filesystem
> mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
> Setting up other filesystems.
> Setting up new root fs
> setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
> no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
> setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
> setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
> Switching to new root and running init.
> unmounting old /dev
> unmounting old /proc
> unmounting old /sys
> switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

What is your kernel command line in this case? What's the root= the
initrd searches for?

Another thing you might check is that the modules for your VM disks
are in your initrd. (chroot into /mnt/local and check the modules with
lsinitrd, verify all are there compared to lsmod in the recovery
system)

Greetings,

Jeroen