[rear-users] recovery scenario

Jeroen Hoekx jeroen.hoekx at hamok.be
Tue May 28 15:56:56 CEST 2013

Hello Tim,

On 28 May 2013 15:11,  <Tim.Einmahl at kba.de> wrote:

> As we are running a bunch of servers in different separated network segments, we
> would like to create the rescue images on each server and rsync them from a central
> server to a pxe server. In case of a needed recovery, we would connect the server that
> should be recovered to the pxe segment and remote boot it.
>
> Now the crucial part: As we do our backup via rsync, we would like to PUSH the data from our
> backupserver to the server that should be restored after it was recovered by rear. Is that possible with rear and if so, how?
> Also, for this to work, we must earlier be able to change the ip address of the server interface as the
> pxe server and backup server of course belong to a different network than the original server.

Yes, it's possible. The one part to keep in mind is that Rear uses
files (grub config,...) from the restored backup to finalize the
recovery. You should probably use BACKUP=REQUESTRESTORE and rsync from
the backup server when Rear prompts you to restore the backup. When
that completes, just tell Rear to continue.

Network configuration can be changed from the kernel command line.
This can already be added in local.conf if you know it before the
restore:
ip=${mgt.ip} nm=${mgt.netmask} gw=${gateway}

HTH,

Jeroen