[rear-users] ReaR entry in grub

Jeroen Hoekx jeroen.hoekx at hamok.be
Tue May 7 14:02:23 CEST 2013

On 7 May 2013 13:36, Schlomo Schapiro <schlomo at schapiro.org> wrote:

>> grep LOADER_TYPE /etc/sysconfig/bootloader
>> LOADER_TYPE="grub2"
>>
>> So the place where SUSE stores the info is updated correctly.
>
> That is why ReaR once had a piece of code that would check this file and
> also call lilo if used. IIRC we lost this recently, maybe better to put it
> back.

The problem was that it also contained information about where the
bootloader was installed and we assumed it to be correct. That
information was wrong in far too many bug reports.

Just checking the LOADER_TYPE in Suse is something we should probably do.

We need better support for other bootloaders in general (think
syslinux). So I think our only option is checking the MBR.

Greetings,

Jeroen