[rear-users] ReaR entry in grub

Jeroen Hoekx jeroen.hoekx at hamok.be
Tue May 7 11:23:14 CEST 2013

Hello,

I noticed that automatically adding a Relax-and-Recover entry in my
grub configuration is no longer working for me on RHEL 5 and RHEL 6.

This was
[[ $(type -p grub-probe) || $(type -p grub2-probe) ]]

Which already fails because I don't have grub-probe. Gratien, do you
know why this line is necessary because we should skip out of the
script in the next line? The commit message says 'Improved the grub
(legacy) message to avoid confusion with grub2 style'...

On RHEL 5 there is another problem. We are using 'strings' on the
binary to detect the version and then use the first line. On RHEL 6
that works fine because the first line is 0.97. In RHEL 5 it is 2.4...

What I see in common between the two is that the last match for a
version number is correct.

Could someone post the output in a few other distributions that still
have legacy grub of:
$ strings $(which grub) | sed -rn 's/^[^0-9\.]*([0-9]+\.[-0-9a-z\.]+).*$/\1/p'

If the last line is the correct version number there, I'll update the
code to use that. Otherwise we'll have to find another solution.

Thanks,

Jeroen