[rear-users] WG: recovery scenario

Tim.Einmahl at kba.de Tim.Einmahl at kba.de
Thu Jun 6 14:58:58 CEST 2013

 Hi,

I have found the reason for the kernel panics.
The problem was, that I ran "rear mkrescue" on a server with
lets say kernel version 1 and 2, while version 2 was active.
After that, version 3 was added.

The problem now was, that the rescue image of rear ran version 2 and built the
initram for it, but in /etc/grub.conf "default=0" was set, so after recovery kernel 3
was booted, and that failed, because it's initrd hasn't been recreated. Sorry for all that confusion.

But that leads me to additional questions:

1) wouldn't it be possible and useful to update any initrd
found in the recovered /etc/grub.conf automatically, so that it's possible
to choose any kernel to boot on the recovered system?

2) Does rear always recreate only the initrd for the running rescue kernel?
Couldn't that lead to the problem, that after a bunch of kernel updates,
the backup no longer contains the old kernel version that the rescue system has
and so the recovered system would not boot any more. Afaik, rear only runs mkrescue
if the disklayout hasn't chnged.

Best regards
Tim