[rear-users] OpenSuse 12.2 problem with rescue disk: /dev/sd* missing

Lukas Laag laaglu at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 23:09:31 CET 2013

On 02/26/2013 08:36 PM, Gratien D'haese wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 14:22:04 +0100, Lukas Laag  wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am new to rear and I am trying to use it to backup an OpenSuse 12.2
>> 64bits server. Alas, I cannot seem to produce a working rescue disk.
>> After the rescue disk has finished booting, the main hard disk does
>> not appear in the /dev/sd* directory (All I see is the boot disk
>> /dev/disk/by-label/REAR-000, but not /dev/sda and all its partitions).
>> Also the dhcp client takes a very long time to execute (2 minutes or
>> so before timing out)
>>
>> I am using a version of rear I built from the git trunk:
>> Relax-and-Recover 1.14-git201302111529.
>> On the opensuse side, I have an unencrypted ext3 /boot, which boots
>> into an LVM2 + LUKS root partition and swap. I use GRUB1 and
>> sysvinit-init (no systemd)
>>
>> I imagine this is some problem with udev not working properly on the
>> rescue disk or kernel module which should be added or excluded, but I
>> am not very versed in low-level linux stuff and I do not know how to
>> diagnose / fix the problem. I have looked a various files (output of
>> dmesg, /var/log/rear/machine.log) but I do not know what to search
>> for. Any help or suggestion would be most welcome. I am adding a few
>> basic files to clarify my setup.
>
> You could verify if the kernel modules are loaded, if you know which ones?
> Try modprobe "module" and check dmesg output to see whether the disk(s)
> are seen now.
> If that doesn't help, please open an issue on our tracker pages (see support
> page and beyond).
> thanks, Gratien

Hi Gratien,

Thanks for the answer. I managed to capture some more logs during the
boot process. I do not know if this makes the problem more obvious to you
   ata_id[185]: unable to open '/dev/sda'
   udevd[186]: failed to execute '/lib/systemd/systemd-uaccess'
'/lib/systemd/systemd-uaccess /dev/sg0 ": No such file or directory
   udevd[102]: inotify_add_watch(6, /dev/sda, 10) failed: No such file
or directory
   udevd[192]: failed to execute '/lib/systemd/systemd-uaccess'
'/lib/systemd/systemd-uaccess /dev/sr0 ": No such file or directory
   udevd[195]: failed to execute '/lib/systemd/systemd-uaccess'
'/lib/systemd/systemd-uaccess /dev/sr0 ": No such file or directory
   udevd[200]: failed to execute '/lib/systemd/systemd-sysctl'
'/lib/systemd/systemd-sysctl --prefix=/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth1
--prefix=/proc/sys/net/ipv4/neigh/eth1
--prefix=/proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eth1
--prefix=/proc/sys/net/ipv6/neigh/eth1 ": No such file or directory
   udevd[201]: failed to execute '/lib/systemd/systemd-sysctl'
'/lib/systemd/systemd-sysctl --prefix=/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0
--prefix=/proc/sys/net/ipv4/neigh/eth0
--prefix=/proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eth0
--prefix=/proc/sys/net/ipv6/neigh/eth0 ": No such file or directory

I did an lsmod on the machine booted with the rescue disk and indeed the
drivers related to disk seem not to be loaded whereas they are on the
machine booted with the normal boot
   ata_generic            12780  0
   ata_piix               26360  0
   libata                196330  4 ata_generic,ata_piix,ahci,libahci
   scsi_dh_emc            17062  0
   scsi_dh_alua           12845  0
   scsi_dh_hp_sw          12746  0
   scsi_dh_rdac           17172  0
   scsi_dh                14214  4
scsi_dh_emc,scsi_dh_alua,scsi_dh_hp_sw,scsi_dh_rdac
I did a modprobe on all these modules. They loaded correctly but this
had no visible effect (in dmesg or in making /dev/sda visible)

The kernel seems to have knowledge of the disk however because I can see
it the /sys filesystem
   cat /sys/class/scsi_disk/1\:0\:0\:0/device/model ===> SAMSUNG HD300LJ
which is my main disk with the OS (/dev/sda)

Lukas