[rear-users] OpenSuse 12.2 problem with rescue disk: /dev/sd* missing

Gratien D'haese gratien.dhaese at it3.be
Tue Feb 26 20:36:41 CET 2013

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 14:22:04 +0100, Lukas Laag wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am
new to rear and I am trying to use it to backup an OpenSuse 12.2
> 64bits
server. Alas, I cannot seem to produce a working rescue disk.
> After the
rescue disk has finished booting, the main hard disk does
> not appear in
the /dev/sd* directory (All I see is the boot disk

/dev/disk/by-label/REAR-000, but not /dev/sda and all its partitions).

Also the dhcp client takes a very long time to execute (2 minutes or
> so
before timing out)

> I am using a version of rear I built from the git
trunk:
> Relax-and-Recover 1.14-git201302111529.
> On the opensuse side, I
have an unencrypted ext3 /boot, which boots
> into an LVM2 + LUKS root
partition and swap. I use GRUB1 and
> sysvinit-init (no systemd)

imagine this is some problem with udev not working properly on the
> rescue
disk or kernel module which should be added or excluded, but I
> am not
very versed in low-level linux stuff and I do not know how to
> diagnose /
fix the problem. I have looked a various files (output of
> dmesg,
/var/log/rear/machine.log) but I do not know what to search
> for. Any help
or suggestion would be most welcome. I am adding a few
> basic files to
clarify my setup.

You could verify if the kernel modules are loaded, if
you know which ones?
Try modprobe "module" and check dmesg output to see
whether the disk(s)
are seen now.
If that doesn't help, please open an
issue on our tracker pages (see support