[rear-users] REAR restore on multipath

reynald CHEKHINA r.chekhina at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 21:07:36 CET 2013

Hello,

I have add multipath to boot iso, load module dm_multipath create multipath
with multipath -v3 and see mpath0. A launch rear recover and change
disklayout.conf file with mpath0, mpath0p1 .... creation and restoration
works well. After i change root to /mnt/local i modify /etc/multipath.conf,
/etc/fstab, /var/lib/multipath/bindings, /etc/lvm/lvm.conf and
/etc/sysconfig/mkinitrd/multipath. I recreate grub to map on /
dev/mapper/mpath0 recreate initrd .
I reboot the server but i have a kernel panic message :

mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory

Can you help me please ?

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 16:48:16 +0100 (CET), Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2013, reynald CHEKHINA wrote:
>
>> I migrate physical machine RHEL5.4 with local disk to other physical
>> machine with boot on san. When I try to restore I see only /dev/sda-d of
>> 4 path lun and don't see mpath.
>> It's possible to restore on mulitpath /dev/mpath ?
>
> Since the original system does not use multipathing itself, the rescue
> image does not have it included. And it's even possible that the original
> system doesn't have multipath tools installed at all.
>
> What you currently can do to work around this is:
>
>   - Include the multipath tools manually in the configuration
>   - Create an additional script that starts multipathd during rescue boot
>
> But we could discuss how we want to do this in the future. In this case we
> could always include multipathd if it is on the original system, and run
> it on rescue boot. It can be useful, and is harmless (?) if there's no
> multipathing.
>
> Same for backup methods, having other tools included (e.g. rsync, ...)
> when installed, gives more options during restore.

I'm sure he will end at issue https://github.com/rear/rear/issues/183
Our code is not 100% ready yet for migrating to SAN-only disks. Need
some time to continue work on this. Unfortunately, time is not my best
friend these days ;-(
Gratien