[rear-users] REAR restore on multipath

Gratien D'haese gratien.dhaese at it3.be
Thu Feb 14 21:37:21 CET 2013

Feb 2013, reynald CHEKHINA wrote:

>> I migrate physical machine RHEL5.4
with local disk to other physical
>> machine with boot on san. When I try
to restore I see only /dev/sda-d of
>> 4 path lun and don't see mpath.

It's possible to restore on mulitpath /dev/mpath ?

> Since the original
system does not use multipathing itself, the rescue
> image does not have
it included. And it's even possible that the original
> system doesn't
have multipath tools installed at all.

> What you currently can do to
work around this is:

> - Include the multipath tools manually in the
configuration
> - Create an additional script that starts multipathd during
rescue boot

> But we could discuss how we want to do this in the future.
In this case we
> could always include multipathd if it is on the original
system, and run
> it on rescue boot. It can be useful, and is harmless (?)
if there's no
> multipathing.
>
> Same for backup methods, having other
tools included (e.g. rsync, ...)
> when installed, gives more options
during restore.

I'm sure he will end at issue
https://github.com/rear/rear/issues/183
Our code is not 100% ready yet for
migrating to SAN-only disks. Need some time to continue work on this.
Unfortunately, time is not my best friend these days ;-(
Gratien