[rear-users] REAR restore on multipath

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Feb 14 16:48:16 CET 2013

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013, reynald CHEKHINA wrote:

> I migrate physical machine RHEL5.4 with local disk to other physical
> machine with boot on san. When I try to restore I see only /dev/sda-d of 4
> path lun and don't see mpath.
> It's possible to restore on mulitpath /dev/mpath ?

Since the original system does not use multipathing itself, the rescue
image does not have it included. And it's even possible that the original
system doesn't have multipath tools installed at all.

What you currently can do to work around this is:

  - Include the multipath tools manually in the configuration
  - Create an additional script that starts multipathd during rescue boot

But we could discuss how we want to do this in the future. In this case we
could always include multipathd if it is on the original system, and run
it on rescue boot. It can be useful, and is harmless (?) if there's no
multipathing.

Same for backup methods, having other tools included (e.g. rsync, ...)
when installed, gives more options during restore.