[rear-users] BACKUp with http

Dirk.Lohmann at Bertelsmann.de Dirk.Lohmann at Bertelsmann.de
Fri Feb 8 11:54:11 CET 2013

Hi,
nfs ist not everywhere  possible in network.
But we can do wget http://xxx.xxx.xxx. to install Server

Dirk Lohmann
-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: rear-users-bounces at lists.relax-and-recover.org [mailto:rear-users-bounces at lists.relax-and-recover.org] Im Auftrag von Dag Wieers
Gesendet: Freitag, 8. Februar 2013 11:19
An: Relax-and-Recover users list
Betreff: Re: [rear-users] BACKUp with http

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013, Dirk.Lohmann at Bertelsmann.de wrote:

> is it possible to do backup with http ?
> like this
>
> BACKUP=HTTP
> BACKUP_URL=http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/nmidc/rear

What would you expect Relax-and-Recover would do in this case ?

It is possible to add maybe a Webdav backup method, but such an
implementation would not be optimal wrt. bandwidth usage (since there's no
easy way to do incremental backups).

If there is another mechanisme over HTTP to synchronize folders (including
metadata like ownerships, permissions, extended attributes) we can
definitely look at it, but I prefer not adding yet another inferior backup
method.

So what do you have in mind ? :)