[rear-users] Boot error

Gratien D'haese gratien.dhaese at it3.be
Sun Feb 3 20:50:37 CET 2013

On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 21:34:04 +0100, Simon Brugger  wrote:    Hi,

 I've
a problem with my rear setup. I use rear on my ubuntu 12.04 system and a
toshiba external usb drive for the backup storage.

 I followed the
instructions on http://relax-and-recover.org/documentation/ [1] everything
worked well to write the backup. Rear formated the usb drive, I edit the
local.conf:

### write the rescue initramfs to USB and update the USB
bootloader
OUTPUT=USB

### create a backup using the internal NETFS method,
using 'tar'
BACKUP=NETFS

### write both rescue image and backup to the
device labeled REAR-000
BACKUP_URL=usb:///dev/disk/by-label/REAR-000
  and
ran the backup:

sudo usr/sbin/rear -v mkrescue
 Relax-and-Recover 1.14 /
Git
Using log file: /home/simdlx/rear/var/log/rear/rear-HAL9000.log

Creating disk layout
Creating root filesystem layout
TIP: To login as root
via ssh you need to set up /root/.ssh/authorized_keys
Copying files and
directories
Copying binaries and libraries
Copying kernel modules
 Creating
initramfs
Copying resulting files to usb location  But the Backup does not
work. If I boot with the usb drive to test the Backup I get the Message:
"Boot error"

 Can anyone support me?

 Thank you.

 Simon

Did you
inspect thee log file for any trivial errors? Is extlinux installed on your
system?

regards,
Gratien D'haese

Links: