[rear-users] Updating the Debian (wheezy) package "nukes" local.conf

Mathieu Simon mathieu.sim at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 16:17:51 CET 2013

G'day list

I'm trying reach out for Debian (and alike) experienced people since I
realized updating the rear package from the OBS repo consistently
nukes local.conf with the default values.

My understanding of Debian's packaging was that debian/conffiles
defines a list of files to not overwrite during an update. Such a file
exists in the rear sources (under packaging), but that apparently
doesn't really make a difference to protect local settings from updating.
;-)

I'm reaching out to the list on Schlomo's recommendation based on
this issue: https://github.com/rear/rear/issues/341

Currently I'm working around this issue by pointing rear to an alternate
configuration directory ('rear -c /etc/rear.local mkbackup') containing
local.conf

Any hint towards a fix for this problem would be appreciated :-)

-- Mathieu