[rear-users] Ubuntu issues

Jeroen Hoekx jeroen.hoekx at hamok.be
Wed May 30 09:31:05 CEST 2012

Hello Everyone,

Since last week at LinuxTag we know that Rear is quite broken on at
least Ubuntu 11.04 and up. We did support 10.04, which was the
previous LTS and was actually tested before the previous release.

Various issues need to be fixed:
- agetty always started https://github.com/rear/rear/issues/83 - 11.04
- sshd compains that "Privilege separation user sshd does not exist"
(no issue yet) - 11.04
- didn't get that far, but I believe we will also have upstart
problems (at least on RHEL 6 we don't power off or reboot) - 11.04,
RHEL 6
- Multiarch support https://github.com/rear/rear/issues/82 - 12.04

Any help on these (pull requests, feedback) would be appreciated.

Multiarch support in particular seems to be quite hard and could cause
breakage on other distributions. How do we intend to tackle that?
Mirror the structure? Copy everything into /lib? And all this without
causing eglibc to remove valid symlinks... So we need to understand
how that works.

Greetings,

Jeroen